My First Imperial Knight: Part 2

My First Imperial Knight: Part 2

After months of procrastination, my first Imperial Knight is nearing completion. If you haven’t seen the first part of the update, you can check it out here.

I’ve been pretty busy with other projects and have been putting off painting. As I’ve mentioned in past posts, I tend to get sidetracked really easily. I’m almost at a point where I need to multitask in order to feel like I’m getting something done. I often find myself with Netflix up on one monitor while I’m writing, creating something, or playing a game on the other monitor. Its damn near impossible for me to just sit still and do one thing now while at home, and unfortunately this has caused me to really slack on most of my projects. Combine that with my weird voluntary ADD causing me to jump from idea to idea from one week to another, and you can see how I now have 50 separate incomplete projects that I may never finish simply because all of them excite me enough to make me jump around. Its exhausting.

That said, some coworkers of mine have really gotten into trying out miniature painting, and as such have wanted to throw mini painting parties after work. This has been a blessing, and is really what gave me the push to get this thing 90% finished as well as start on some of the Reaper minis I bought in their last Kickstarter campaign.

I continued the same techniques from my first post for this model, still going for that Dark Angels look with some gradients when applicable. For the weapons, I took a more traditional approach, starting with Caliban Green then lightly brushing Warpstone Glow on the edges. I then took Moot Green to give the top edges that Tron-like look to make the highlights pop. To really help sell the depth, I again took a small amount of Nuln Oil and spread it in the recesses and along any 90-degree angle. For the metallic potion of the weapons, I used a layer of Leadbelcher followed by some Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil to give the barrels a more weathered look. I think I’m going to attempt to add a more heated metal look eventually, but that will fall into the finishing touches that I’ll cover in my next update.

For the shoulderpads and top armor, I again made an attempt at gradients with the Liquitex Slow-Dri Blending Medium. There was no real method to my madness for this one other than starting at one end with Caliban Green and blending it with Warpstone Glow from the other end. Then I’d add some Moot Green starting at the very edge where the Warpstone Glow began, and blend that into it. This didn’t always work out as planned, and unfortunately I feel like some areas look too thick as a result. Overall I’m still happy with how it came out, though. For the top armor plate, in particular, I feel like I really just had to wing it and use Nuln Oil in between the plates to cheat the look even more. Again, overall I’m happy with it, but I know I can do better.

In my first post on the Imperial Knight, I briefly mentioned using magnets, as well. This has actually been a pretty worthwhile experiment, as it turns out. Not only am I able to salvage the otherwise unused arms and top-mount attachments, but I feel like the ability to pose this thing is pretty sweet. I tried a few different magnet packages and found that the Primal Horizon magnets from Amazon worked the best for me. And they came with drill bits, which was a pretty nice addition. To get the magnets to work, I just took a box cutter and cut off certain connecting parts ont eh model, and then liberally super-glued the magnets down in their place. In some cases I had to drill holes to widen the areas (especially in the top armor plate and in the torso. These magnets have been holding on strong for months now, so I couldn’t be happier with the decision to magnetize this thing. I’m really looking forward to seeing what other models I can do this with.

I spent a good amount of time trying to determine what accent color to use on the shoulderpads. Still keeping this model in line with the Dark Angel color scheme, I decided to go with the Deathwing Terminator look of Ushabti Bone, Screaming Skull, and Seraphim Sepia. Instead of attempting the gradient look for this (mainly because I don’t think the colors are drastically different enough to even tell), I just based the accent side with Ushabti Bone. I dry-brushed some Screaming Skull on the top of the rounded area to give it a bit of shine, and then carefully lined the edges with Seraphim Sepia. I really like how this turned out, but unfrotunately it makes me wish I did similar accepts on other sections (i.e. a kneecap or on the legs).

The last bit of time I spent on this was basing. Unlike my past basing attempts, I actually decided to try using spackle. I’ve heard that going this route can be problematic as the putty can chip and break off, but I really liked the sort of muddy organic look it left as I piled it on, so I went with it. I added some cut pink extruded polystyrene foam (XPS) for my rocks, and then added a layer of glued sand and pebbles in some areas to give it a bit of texture. Once it was all dried, I started with a base coat of Abaddon Black. For the dirt and mud, I used Liquitex Burnt Umber along with various combinations of Liquitex Ivory Black to give it different shades throughout. For the rocks, I went with my handy combination of Liquitex Neutral Gray mixed with black and white paints to get varying shades for each coat. Finally, I put layers of grass and flock around some sections, trying not to make it feel too forced or perfectly placed.

I think the next things I want to tackle on this are the decals and the burnt metal look on the exhaust pipes and weapons, then I think I’d finally be comfortable calling this thing complete. Until next time.

Share this Post: