Entering the World of Airbrushing

Entering the World of Airbrushing

It’s been a while since my last update. I knew I’d post infrequently, but didn’t expect to take this long. Before I go too far into why I’m posting now, I should say that I still have yet to complete my Imperial Knight. It currently sits in my office on one of my terrain pieces, and though it looks good as-is and I am really proud of what I’ve done with itwwwq, I still have so much more planned. I think I’m just worried about potentially ruining it by adding all the Dark Angels decals and emblems on it, but that’s what I had always intended to do with it, so I should probably just suck it up and deal with it. Haha.

Anywho, the reason I’m updating now is because I’m finally getting into airbrushing. I always saw airbrushing as this sophisticated method that was very expensive and completely out of my wheelhouse. Now I don’t see it that way. As I’m just starting out, I decided to get a simple compressor/airbrush kit from Amazon. I did my research and consistently saw that Iwata was the way to go for brushes, but when it came to compressors, it didn’t seem like the brand mattered so much. I decided to go with the kit I chose because the reviews seemed decent, and I frankly wasn’t sure if I’d enjoy airbrushing enough to warrant the high cost of an Iwata.

I decided to do a test run of something relatively simple, a Werewolf. I had seen videos about how easy airbrushing can make things like gradients and fur, so it seemed like the perfect model to start with. Turns out it wasn’t as easy as I thought, and I quickly had a flat grey mess in front of me. I knew I was pulling the trigger back slow enough as to not blast it like a can of spray paint. I decided to instead just keep layering darker shades of grey and black until I had it back to an acceptable state. From there I painted on patches of lighter shades to give the coat a little depth, followed by a few dry-brushing passes to highlight the tips of the fur. I’m happy with it, but looking forward to my next attempt at airbrushing.

It wasn’t until I gave in and bought Vallejo’s Air Paints before I realized that the initial issue lied in my paint thinning. Every tutorial I had seen or read suggested that he amount of thinner to add varies based on the paint and the color, but ideally you end up with a liquid that resembles skim milk. I think in my attempts to paint the wolf initially, my paint was way more diluted than it should have been. So now I’m using the Vallejo line of air paints and so far I’m pretty happy with how they spray. I have a few Ogre models from that first Reaper set that I’ve been wanting to start. Maybe that’ll be the perfect opportunity to try again.

Share this Post: